In 2021, the crypto ecosystem outdid its performance of previous years. The chief reasons for this stellar showing are the widespread adoption of BTC, and the wild popularity of meme coins due to the success of DOGE and SHIB. Added to this was the interest in this space shown by several prominent celebrities.
The crypto space attracted the interest of influencers and celebrities ranging from tech entrepreneurs, rappers to stars of reality TV. Some of these celebrities created their individual versions of crypto assets, and others helped make this space better known with their involvement.
The prominent celebrities who made a mark in this space in 2021 are:
- Snoop Dogg – The popular rapper enjoys a reputation for taking early to new technologies. A relative late entrant to the crypto space, he has launched an NFT called “Decentral Eyes Dogg’.
- Nayib Bukele– In his capacity as the president of El Salvador, he has declared BTC as legal tender accelerating its widespread adoption. He is also active on Twitter in announcing various crypto initiatives in El Salvador.
- Elon Musk – He has been vocally championing DOGE’s case by announcing that his companies will accept DOGE as payment against the purchase of their products. His support has pushed up DOGE’s price.
- Naomi Osaka – This top women tennis star diversified her investments into crypto, sensing the popularity of DOGE. She has also launched several NFT initiatives.
- Lionel Messi – This football superstar, during his recent transfer to football club Paris St-Germain, agreed to accept part of his salary in fan tokens.
- Mark Zuckerberg – The CEO of Meta hopes to pioneer the metaverse ecosystem. He plans on creating a metaverse that could provide opportunities for online creators to generate revenue.
Other celebrities actively participating in and promoting the crypto space include Kim Kardashian, rapper Soulja Boy, world chess champion Magnus Carlsen, and Randi Zuckerberg. Several Indian film stars have also been early adopters and are active in this space.