TOKYO & LONDON, May 25, 2023 – JCB International Co., Ltd., a foremost global payment brand and dominant credit card issuer in Japan, is proud to announce its strategic partnership with SumUp, a global fintech leader dedicated to equipping small businesses for success. This alliance signifies JCB Card’s expansion into SumUp’s European merchant network, enriching its contactless card payment offerings.
As international travel experiences a renaissance, this collaboration aims to unlock fresh growth potential for merchants, capitalizing on JCB’s extensive cardmember base that spans over 150 million worldwide. Armed with a diverse range of business tools, both JCB and SumUp pledge to support merchants in seamlessly catering to the influx of returning customers.
With an existing association of over 4 million small merchants spanning more than 35 international markets, SumUp’s alliance with JCB represents an optimal pathway for businesses to explore untapped revenue avenues. By integrating JCB Card facilities, European merchants under SumUp’s extensive umbrella now have a golden opportunity to merge into JCB’s flourishing merchant ecosystem, responding proactively to the rising demand for digital payments.
Highlighting SumUp’s user-friendly features, such as compact devices, paperless registration, complimentary business accounts, and advanced invoicing solutions, this partnership ensures even the most modest businesses can capitalize on streamlined payment methods.
Furthermore, JCB cardmembers shopping overseas will benefit from an accelerated and seamless payment process. JCB’s commitment to innovation shines through the introduction of JCB Contactless, assuring card members of a secure and efficient payment journey by merely tapping on SumUp’s devices.
Ray Shinzawa, Managing Director at JCB International (Europe) Ltd., shared his enthusiasm, “Teaming up with SumUp, particularly focusing on its robust European merchant network, will amplify the reach of JCB Contactless. SumUp’s innovative approach combined with its global footprint positions it as an optimal partner for our cardmembers who prioritize swift and secure transactions overseas. This alliance heralds a win-win, introducing merchants to a broader clientele and paving the way for exponential growth.”
Echoing this sentiment, Michael Schrezenmaier, CEO Europe at SumUp, emphasized their dedication to bolstering small businesses. “Our collaboration with JCB enriches our offerings, allowing businesses to cater to the rising Asian traveler demographic. This venture promises exciting growth trajectories for SMEs. Integrating JCB Card acceptance, we’re arming them with the competitive edge they need in this dynamic global landscape,” he concluded.
About JCB International Co., Ltd.
- JCB International Co., Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of JCB Co., Ltd., a leading credit card issuer and acquirer in Japan.
- JCB International was founded in 1981 and is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
- The company has over 200 subsidiaries and affiliates around the world, and its JCB card is accepted at over 35 million merchants in more than 200 countries and territories.
- JCB International offers a wide range of payment products and services, including credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, and travel cards.
- The company also provides merchant acquiring, processing, and settlement services.
- JCB International is committed to providing its customers with a safe, secure, and convenient payment experience.
- SumUp is a global financial technology company that enables businesses to accept card payments at the Point-of-Sale or on the go in a simple, secure, and cost-effective way.
- The company was founded in 2012 by Daniel Klein, Stefan Jeschonnek, Marc-Alexander Christ, Petter Made, and Jan Deepen.
- SumUp is headquartered in London, United Kingdom, and has over 3.5 million merchants in over 30 markets worldwide.
- The company’s products include a range of mobile card readers, as well as a suite of business tools such as invoicing, inventory management, and customer relationship management.
- SumUp is backed by a number of investors, including Groupon, BBVA Ventures, Holtzbrinck Ventures, and American Express.
- The company has been praised for its innovative approach to payment processing and its commitment to helping small businesses succeed.
For Media Enquiries:
JCB International (Europe) Ltd.
Diana Lee: email@example.com
JCB (Head Office in Japan)
Ayaka Nakajima: firstname.lastname@example.org